Thursday, September 27, 2012

Weekend Recap

    Our flight to Utah was perfect. Rob's brother, Mike, met us at our house early in the morning and we were off to the airport. Since we were running a bit late (give or take an hour) I decided to see if our flight was on-time because if it was delayed, then we may have still been in business. I scrolled down and boom, canceled. So sweet. Our flight...canceled. After a phone call and a few suggestions on our part we actually ended up getting a direct flight into Grand Junction which turned out to be much more convenient for us. Robbie literally did not cry, whimper, or frown the entire time. He mostly slept and smiled at anyone willing to smile at him. Afterwards I was congratulated with knowing smiles and pats on the back accompanied by, "He did good!" Translation: "That plane only holds about 40 people and yours was the only baby on it, so we were this close to being really pissed at you guys." Rob says if it would have gone south he would have just bought drinks for everyone.

   The whole week was awesome. Wheelers were mingled with Andersons (all of my people together: awesome),  the food was delicious, complete with giant marshmallow-smores, pumpkin bread, fresh baked wheat bread, even homemade ice cream! Robbie looked fresh-to-death in his seersucker blazer, (compliments of my sister-in-law, Emilee) and the weather could not have been better. Robbie did, unfortunately, get sick the second day we were there and wasn't able to keep much down the rest of the trip and had one trip to the ER, but we made it home and are working hard to get back the 8 ounces he lost. I told our pediatrician that we had a difficult time finding the right kind of pedialyte in Monticello and that my husband went and knocked on the door to the ER in a panic (the night before we took him in) to ask if they had any, to which they happily obliged us with a small stash. My pediatrician replied, "Well that sounds like a very interesting town," except he did that thing where people pronounce it "inner-esting." What's with that? Anyway, barring Robbie's sad little immune system, I couldn't have asked for a better trip.

I learned a few things:
  *Though Robbie has proved himself to be a master-traveler, we probably won't be traveling with him any time soon.
  *Clear pedialyte is a hot commodity in small towns.
  *If the ER tech can't get your baby's blood after one stick, it's just as reasonable to take all of the     supplies and do it yourself
  *I have always known I have two awesome families, but they are even more awesome as one
  *My sister-in-law Emilee could sell hipster baby clothes for thousands of dollars and become    magnificently wealthy
  *It's super useful to have a doctor in the family (my brother-in-law, John) and I am determined to never let him feel like his skills are forgotten. I will do this by calling an average of 3X/wk to ask as many questions as possible about Robbie
  *I'm pretty sure Rob was right when he said God is in the mountains
  *People only conditionally think your baby is cute when trapped in small spaces
  *Gingerale is the only beverage to order on a plane
 
 


2 comments:

danielle said...

you forgot to also add that you look super cute in your bangs/scarf/boots combos.
glad you had a good trip xx

BTO said...

mountains are heavenly!