Thursday, September 23, 2010

Man Down!

OH the shame of nursing students passing out. I remember on the unit I used to work at we would giggle when nursing students couldn't hack it and would have to go lay down after seeing some itty bitty ulcer. "I think I need some water" they'd say with their head in their hands. "What a little GIRL!" I'd say in my head, and then later in the break room. How EMBARRASSING. Man...

In other news, I passed out today at clinical. HA. I was hanging out in the wound clinic checking out some burns having a great time when something inside me started to whisper "This isn't natural...in fact, this is totally gross. I recognize your mentally okay with this but just as a heads up the legs that you rely on to stay standing are going down, and they're going down fast." I tried so hard to convince my body I wasn't grossed out but all I had time to do was head out the door to the Dr's report room and make it into a Dr's reach where he lowered me into unconsciousness. I think I was only down for a few seconds and woke up laughing saing, "oh man, seriously, I'm fine, I love wounds, I'm okay!" They made me lay there for a few more minutes with all the kids walking by the room with their mocking glances. I had to remind myself they were only kids and it would be inappropriate to yell some adult comment like "Shut up stupid! What are you looking at?!"

I got sent home from clincial and when I got home read an email informing me that my TB (tuberculosis) test from my new employer was borderline and I had to come in for a chest x-ray. Awesome. So I left to do that and chit-chatted with the guy doing the xray until I realized he didn't even know how to read the film, he could simply point out my heart so I stopped freaking out about the crappy information he was giving me. I also told them about my "incident" today so they did some orthostatic blood pressure checks (where they take BP laying, sitting, and standing) and as it turns out I have pretty severe orthostatic hypotension (really low BP when you stand and get dizzy and sometimes fall). I had always suspected this but after my embarrassing and swift descent to the ground today I was happy to have something to blame it on.

Oh and then they decided while I was there to hit me up with my new flu shot that leaves a large majority of its recipients with flu-like symptoms. I'm not sure if I can blame the shot on the delirium I'm feeling but I like things to be neat and organized (did you know?)so I'll put those together so no symptoms are left out without a diagnosis. After all, that'd be like having a bunch of index cards with no designated index card filing box and that is WACK.

5 comments:

cowbell kelly said...

Don't feel to bad. I had been working in the Dialysis center for 3 months
( not on patients yet, I cleaned the Dialysers) and on my first day of training I was watching my trainer stick a patient and the room started to go black. They practically threw me in a chair when I said I was feeling sick. For the next 10 or so minutes I laid there trying not to through up:) So fun.

Steph said...

I just passed out reading this...from laughter.

You're so hard core.

Abinadi said...

I just passed out reading this...from laughter.

You're so hard core.

John said...

Finally. Evidence that you are, in fact, human and not superwoman. I feel so much better.

Susanne said...

Oh you poor thing. What you need is some sympathy and I am more than willing to give it.