Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tsk tsk


Worked my first Sat overnight shift in the ER. I've worked Fri and Sun nights, but Saturdays...oh Saturdays.

I saw things nobody should ever have to see. Lots of X, lots of fighting, and lots of the root phrase, "well I was just out drinking and then..."

Let me oblige you with some of the follow ups to that phrase:

-I don't know how I ended up in the back of that car and my clothes just weren't there, but I didn't take them off. I didn't do anything!

-I took off my shoe cause I was so mad and I just started hitting her with it. (stilleto-shoe-brawl...makes for quite the bloody mess)

-we went to this paint party and I thought he was offering an Altoid, I didn't know it was X.

-the next thing I knew I was in the woods.

-where am I?

-please don't call my dad!

3 comments:

Abinadi said...

"He was offering an Altoid."

That is just brilliant. I wonder how well it would hold up in court. Also, the ER posts are definitely my favorites. Keep 'em coming!

Susanne said...

Oh my oh my! Kind of breaks my heart.

Lyle said...

Reminds me of the rape case for which I held a preliminary hearing several years ago in Moab. The accuser said, "I told him I would go on the trip with him, but we had to have separate motel rooms." Then, when only one room was available, "I told him I would stay in the room with him, but we had to have separate beds." Then, when the room had only one bed, "I told him I would sleep in the bed with him, but he couldn't touch me." Then, when he did touch her, she called the police.

The charges were bound over because, in the eyes of the law, one can always say "No." The case was settled, so I never got to see how a jury would react to this account.

Though we react strongly, and properly so, to accounts of criminal conduct, I would estimate that over 80% of victims could have avoided being victims if they, or their parents, had exercised a minimal measure of common sense. For example, I have seen at most one drunk driving homicide where the decedent did not climb in the car with the drunk.