Thursday, July 24, 2008

Houston, we have a problem


If you haven't read my previous post, you probably won't understand this one. I thought I would give everyone a follow up on my mission to execute the "so-called" mouse in my apartment.

Mouse? WRONG.

On Tuesday I set a few mouse traps, baited them with peanut butter and went to bed feeling confident that my days of fearing for my bread's integrity were over. I woke up the next morning only to find utter, and complete failure.

Of the three traps:
First: Completely unscathed
Second: Void of peanut butter and still intact
Third: Void of peanut butter, snapped, drug across the floor, and covered in claw marks.

I picked up the last trap and examined the scratch marks. There is something wrong here. So I determined it was either a very skillful mouse with abnormally wide feet OR a rat. So last night I went out and purchased a covered trap. Good thing I did too-because I gave my little rat friend something to toss around the kitchen last night. So far this rat has gotten its own peanut butter sandwich out of me, and a night of entertainment with it's new toy, "mouse trap."

Under my stove there were some sticky traps that had been laid by the previous owners. I figured that while I was at work, just to be safe I would set them out. All I could think about was coming home to some big ole', fat rat just struggling to get free of the glue. And to make matters worse, my co-workers informed me that those are the worst because sometimes the rat will do whatever it takes to get free and even rip off its own legs. NOW all I can think about is coming home to a sticky pad with little broken rat legs on it. After seeking advice from several individuals at the Wheatsville CO-OP I went to the hardware store and bought a rat trap you see on the left that could literally kill a cat. I chatted with the maintenance guy who has become a friend after our many visits together (which is a different story all together ). He helped set them up and he is going to come by in the morning to be sure that he takes care of it. But seriously, do you see the size of it? What do you bait that with? A club sandwich? Anyways, please pray for my little crappy apartment and the death of this rat. It's all I ask.

More to come...

1 comment:

Steph said...

ew ew ew...oh my goodness rat feet...ew ew ew.

Yeah, good luck with that. ew.